Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A newborn insomniac?...any suggestions?

So let me just say that I LOVE being a mom! Now with that aside does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that helped them with their newborn sleeping? I'm not sure how common it is but this little girl doesn't want to sleep! Most of the problem is she doesn't like to be put down. She doesn't like the bouncer, swing, crib, swaddling, pacifiers, etc. Oh she'll sleep if we hold her, bounce her, (such as in her snugli) but that's about it. We went to the pediatrician last week and she was all good for her 1 month check up, gaining plenty of weight etc. but when I mentioned her lack of sleeping to the Dr. she just said "Ah, don't worry about it."
It just started about a week or two ago, which is when all the grandparents left. Up until then she had been held all the time and therefore had been sleeping a lot more...
I have tried letting her "cry it out alone" for several mins. , checking on her, and knowing she's been fed, burped, changed, etc. But as soon as I calm her down and put her back down it's the same thing all the way until her next feeding (which is about every 2 1/2 to 3 hours right now). Or she'll sleep for 20 mins. then start grunting and eventually wake up. Let me tell you this little girl is grunting all the time! Not sure if it's gas, burps, acid reflux or what! So... I guess i'm looking for suggestions on how to get her to not be held all the time/ sleeping. Did anyone else have this same issue with one of thier newborns?

6 comments:

Sunny said...

Elise! I'm definitely not the oracle of getting babies to sleep, but I have to admit that all of my babies have been excellent sleepers. I absolutely love the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." That book helped me so much. (I also kind of liked "The Baby Whisper.) If I were you, I would scan those two books and sort of come with a solution that you feel comfortable with. The bottom line is that she should be sleeping more. But if your Dr.'s not worried about, I don't know??? Also, one that has worked very well for our kids is white noise. I know they have white noise machines, but we've just always used a fan. I put it in their room every time they sleep. It works wonders and then they're not waking up with every doorbell ring, phone ring, etc. - - I'm a big believer in routines for babies. Do the same thing every time you put her down so she gets used to the pattern. - - I'm also a big fan of letting them cry it out, but I usualy wait until their a big older. - Check out those books, let me know what you think. (Sorry so long!)

The Waite's said...

Elise, It was great to talk to you yesterday! We can't wait to see you guys, and hopefully soon. I also like the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." I used it with Mckinley and it helped. I kind of did what I was comfortable with, and the testimonies in the book helped when I was letting him cry. Another book suggested to me was, "On Being Baby Wise," I haven't gotten it yet but am planning to soon to help Lily through this rough patch.

Jon said...

Elise,

How goes it? I don't have any kids but so feel free to take this for what is worth. I would hurry and teach her to read, and then make her read the details behind your retirement plan. That is what works for me.

Good Luck!

Andersons said...

A lot of people swear by car rides then letting them sleep in their carrier.

How long do you let Danelle cry it out before you go comfort her? Maybe I'm a mean mom, but I let Ava cry for 20 minutes before I'd comfort her and set her back down. Poor Danelle is probably as exhausted as you and Lane!

Erin Davis said...

The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg
It is supposed to be an amazing book on how to soothe your baby and make her sleep great. My sister in law swears by it and her baby sleeps great. I just read the first post, and that person said the same thing. Good luck! Get her one of those music things that you hook on cribs. Love you!

Anonymous said...

If she's anything like Lane, my guess is gas. (Also the fact that she has to be held and experiences discomfort when on her back... grunting is a dead giveaway as well) Porter had similar issues and we did a few things which helped.

1) We would 'crank' his legs and were amazed at how much gas we could get out.

2)That wouldn't get it all out, so we would put acidophilus (powder form) in his milk. It did wonders loosening up his stomach. Once his stomach felt better, and only then, we were able to:

3) Implement the book 'On Becoming Baby Wise'. With that book, he was sleeping through the night at week 6. We couldn't have done it at all if we didn't tackle the gas issue first. It would appear that that's your big hang up.

"People Watching" love that song by Jack Johnson!!