Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Babies on a Plane!

Any advice for traveling with a 3 month old on an airplane? We're finally letting my family meet little Danelle :) and I'm trying to figure out what to pack, should I bring the car seat to the gate, put her in a snugli and avoid the stroller in security, i'm nursing her but should I bring extra bottles, and so on. She'll be a lap infant so no extra seat and it's on NW airlines so I think we'll just have an isle and middle seat with Lane & I...so any advise is greatly appreciated!!!

6 comments:

vfg said...

I think it helps to nurse during take-off & landing. It helps with the air pressure changes, so her little ears don't pop. A new sensation, it can be very uncomfortable.

And you asked about book recommendations. My favorite reads from last year are Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Special Topics in Calamity Physics (not a physics book!), Millions (a kids' book, but so good), The Time Traveler's Wife, and The Book Thief. All smart books, but plot-driven, so hard to put down. Each has a very beautiful and distinctive voice that drew in my soul.

Andersons said...

Nyquil.

Just kidding of course. :-)

Bonnie said...

Good Luck, I bet it will go smoothly. When I flew with Brooke at that age, I just made sure to either nurse her or give her the binky during take-off and landing. The noise really nocked her out and she slept most of the flight anyway. When are you going to be in UT? I'm going to be up there right after Easter, if you're still there maybe we could meet up somewhere and I could see your beautiful little girl.

Also, I just finished The Glass Castle. I really liked it, I thought it was well written, sad and funny. Good luck!

Russell and Jillian said...

Simone's been on 8 roundtrips and she just turned 2, so we are well-seasoned travelers! What works for one doesn't always work for the other, but here's what we did at that age: (remember, the diaper bag, carseat, and stroller do not count as checked items and can be carried all the way to the gate. You need to go to the counter before boarding to get your pink/yellow stroller tag in order to have them put it under the plane for you). In the airport, we always had Simone in the carseat which was in the stroller, and diaper bag underneath. So much easier to walk around that way. On the plane, I held her and nursed during take-off and landing or made sure she was sucking on a binky (if she was asleep I just let her keep sleeping). You'll probably want the window seat to give your arm support while nursing. My doc also said to give her a little bit of Benadryl to help her sleep. We did it a couple times and it worked well for us. Hope this helps!

The Waldram Family said...

I am not looking forward to these days! Luckily, we will only have a 1 1/2 hour flight from SLC to LAX. Maybe we will run into each other in Simi, I am leaving on Friday and going for the weekend. Good Luck!

Lauren Van

Thom and Jamie Stansfield said...

good advise given so far. basically what I did is if she fussed a lot and I thought she was bugging people I nursed her a bit...it's the quickest way to make them happy and silent...she then would usually fall asleep for a bit. Checking the stroller in at the gate is the best thing ever! Didn't know this the first time we flew..it was just me and libby so i had her in a snuggli and it got a little crazy! Good luck! I wish we could come to Simi to see you guys...but baby is scheduled for next saturday...one week from today! Crazy!

"People Watching" love that song by Jack Johnson!!